An Ashes Test Match that is due to serve as the opening event at the new Perth Stadium may not take place at the venue due to delays in the construction of a pedestrian footbridge at the site.

Once built, the structure will link East Perth to the new 60,000-capacity stadium in the Australian city, with an estimated 14,000 people to use the footbridge on event days.

The project had been due for completion early this year, but this has since been delayed to mid-2017 after workers at the site encountered delays.

However, despite ongoing concerns, West Australian Premier Colin Barnett has said the third Test, which is scheduled to start on December 14, could still go ahead even if the footbridge is not completed.

“The latest is we still expect that bridge to be completed around mid-year, so it would be ready for an Ashes Test match in December in the worst possible scenario that it’s not finished,” Barnett said, according to ABC.net.

“Some speculation’s been put — maybe it will reduce the crowd — but I don’t see any reason for that, just put on more buses, more services that way.”

When the match schedule for the Ashes was announced late last year, organisers said the third Test would take place at the nearby WACA if the new Perth Stadium is not completed on time.