English Premier League football club Tottenham Hotspur has been granted an extension until April 30 to decide if it will play home matches at Wembley Stadium during the 2017-18 season.
Spurs had been given an initial deadline of March 31 to inform the league whether it would play at England’s national stadium or remain at White Hart Lane.
The club is constructing a new stadium next to White Hart Lane and the project would require demolition of its current home before the project could conclude.
However, chairman Daniel Levy has said that the club cannot yet guarantee the timetable to occupy its new stadium, despite Spurs announcing, via its official Twitter account, that it still intends to begin playing at the facility from the 2018-19 season.
Premier League rival Chelsea has already announced plans to play home games at Wembley from the 2018-19 campaign to 2020-21 while it redevelops its Stamford Bridge stadium, and any delay to the Spurs project could impact this.
In a statement issued to the Evening Standard newspaper, Katrina Law, secretary for the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust, said: “We always encourage transparency and fans now know the facts. Taking a late call on where we will be playing next season is less than ideal for a whole host of reasons, but most rational fans will be able to appreciate the importance of taking the time needed to make the right decision.
“It’s an irreversible one, so if it needs another month to be certain, most will appreciate that.”