Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium has been nominated in the Event of the Year category at the 2018 TheStadiumBusiness Awards for its staging of the boxing match between local favourite Jeff Horn and Manny Pacquiao.
The match was dubbed the Battle of Brisbane and saw Horn, a Brisbane native, emerge victorious over Pacquiao, an 11-time world champion.
The fight was for the WBO welterweight championship and was held on July 2 in front of more than 51,000 people. The event was also broadcast in 159 countries around the world.
Suncorp Stadium will face competition in the Event of the Year category from:
· First Day-Night Ashes Test at Adelaide Oval, Australia
· Wrestlemania at Camping World Stadium, City of Orlando Venues, USA
· #Game4Grenfell at Loftus Road, Queens Park Rangers, UK
· NatWest T20 Blast Finals Day at Edgbaston Stadium, UK
· Arsenal FC in Sydney Tour, ANZ Stadium/VenuesLive, Australia
The 2018 TheStadiumBusiness Awards will take place at Emirates Old Trafford in Manchester on June 12. A full list of this year’s nominees can be found here.