English Premier League football club Manchester City took home the Product Innovation award at last month’s TheStadiumBusiness Awards for its new Tunnel Club feature at the Etihad Stadium.
The event took place at Manchester’s Emirates Old Trafford on June 13, with City seeing off competition from a number of rivals to land the prize.
The Tunnel Club provides fans with unrivalled access to the action at the Etihad Stadium, with seating located directly behind Pep Guardiola’s dugout. Post-match, fans are able to watch and listen first-hand as managers and players speak to the press.
The other candidates for the Product Innovation award were:
- ASB G9” Stadium Golf at Eden Park (Eden Park), New Zealand
- AI Chatbot at AFC Bournemouth (Greenwood Campbell, Microsoft & Bournemouth University), UK
- Virtual Hybrid LED digiBOARD (ADI.tv, Supponor), UK
- The District Detroit Mobile App (Olympia Entertainment, XFINITY), USA
- Wi-Fi Deployment Innovations at Notre Dame Stadium (AmpThink), USA
In giving the award to City, the judges said: “Special mention to AFC Bournemouth and its innovation in AI Chatbots as a future fan portal but the majority winner is Manchester City FC’s The Tunnel Club at Etihad Stadium.
“The Tunnel Club redefines both hospitality standards and the customer experience on a global scale, further demonstrating this club’s commitment to bringing supporters closer to the action. Opening up previously ‘off-limits’ spaces provides a fan experience like no other – unprecedented backstage access to the most exclusive of moments.”
Image: Manchester City