Liverpool chief executive Peter Moore has said the English Premier League football club is discussing whether to enter a new planning application to further develop Anfield as it weighs up its future strategy for the stadium.

In 2016, Liverpool increased the capacity of its Main Stand by 8,500, bringing Anfield’s total capacity to 54,074. Liverpool was granted permission to expand the Anfield Road Stand – the end opposite the famous Kop – when it applied for planning permission for the Main Stand.

The club has a deadline of September 2019 to submit plans to expand the Anfield Road Stand, which would take the overall capacity past 60,000. In an interview with the city’s Business Post newspaper, Moore said the club is now assessing whether the original plans for the Anfield Road Stand are still the best fit for Liverpool’s future goals.

“We are looking at a range of options to ensure we have considered all aspects before making any decision,” Moore said. “These include working up design, feasibility, cost, capacity and economic viability options.

“After that work is completed, and if there is a smarter design option that does not fit with the current outline planning permission, then we would submit another planning application. Only once we have completed this comprehensive process and come to a conclusion will it be the right time to move forward.”

Moore also stated that Liverpool is fully committed to bringing more cultural and sporting events to Anfield. Earlier this month, it was announced that Take That will be the first music act to perform at the stadium in 10 years when they take to the stage in 2019.

The English pop group will play at the venue on June 6 as part of a 30th anniversary tour that includes 38 dates. Confirmation of the Take That gig came after Liverpool last month revealed that it had been granted temporary planning permission to stage music concerts and other major events at Anfield.

The ruling, approved by the city council, will enable the club to host six events over a period of two years from May 2019. Earlier today (Tuesday), American pop star P!nk was confirmed as the second musical act to play at Anfield with a concert on June 25. “We are working closely with key stakeholders to ensure we continue to work together to minimise the impact of any event at Anfield to those who live in the local area,” Moore said.

He added: “Our proposals not only support the city’s ambitions, but showcase Anfield as a destination and will support local businesses and jobs in the area.”

Image: Kevin Walsh