Italian Serie A football club SPAL has urged investigators to conclude safety checks at the Stadio Paolo Mazzo by the end of this month after a third stand was closed at the Ferrara venue.
Last week, SPAL suspended sales of season tickets after the north and east stands of the stadium were closed off by inspectors due to safety concerns.
The club has confirmed that the west stand has now also been shut pending the completion of an investigation, which is due to start tomorrow (Thursday). It is hoped that the checks will be completed by the end of July.
SPAL said in a statement that the club and the local municipality “hope that the procedure established by the Ferrara Public Prosecutor’s Office… will be brought to deadline on schedule”.
Doubts have been raised that renovation work carried out last year at the stadium in order to expand its capacity to 16,000 met safety regulations.
Fears were first aired by one of the project’s subcontractors, who stated earlier this year in a letter to the club, as well as the local authority and the Italian Olympic Committee, that “severe” issues in relation to the construction process would “expose spectators to real and existing dangers”.
The Public Prosecutor’s Office said last week that eight people had been investigated in relation to the allegations, with a total of 60 questioned. Some of the individuals worked on the project, while it is claimed that others were involved in the initial safety checks.
SPAL finished 13th in Serie A last season.
Image credit: Lungoleno