The One Championship mixed martial arts organisation has announced that its upcoming event at Singapore Indoor Stadium will be closed for the general public and media amid continued fears over the coronavirus in the region.

One Championship said in a statement that the move is necessary as it places the health and safety of all athletes, staff and fans as the “utmost priority”.

The event, which has been dubbed One: King of the Jungle, is due to take place on February 28 and will now be a closed event for broadcast only. Fans who purchased tickets for the event at the 12,000-seat arena can visit APACTix for full refund details.

One Championship chairman and chief executive Chatri Sityodtong said: “The event will now proceed behind closed doors. All scheduled live TV and digital platform streams across 150-plus countries around the world will continue as planned. More than ever, the world needs hope and strength right now. Our heroes are prepared to inspire you with the greatest performances of their lives.”

There have so far been 77 reported cases of the coronavirus in Singapore but no deaths. One Championship has already been forced to relocate its April 10 show in Chongqing, China to Jakarta, Indonesia due to fears over the virus.

Image: Exec8