Spanish LaLiga football club Celta Vigo has filed a complaint with the city council over what president Carlos Mouriño claims has been a “botched” process to redevelop its Estadio Municipal de Balaídos.

Celta narrowly avoided relegation to the Segunda Division last season and Mouriño yesterday (Thursday) held a media briefing looking back on the campaign and outlining what issues need addressing.

The 29,000-capacity Balaídos first opened in 1928 and underwent its second major renovation for Spain’s hosting of the 1982 FIFA World Cup. In 2015, a project commenced for another major redevelopment, but Mouriño has expressed his frustration with delays.

He announced that Celta last month filed a complaint of non-compliance with the work agreement before the Vigo city council, based on the fact that the project was originally due to be completed in 2017.

Mouriño said: “In the masterplan, the Marcador (stand) cost €9.5m (£8.6m/$11.2m) and today we learn from the press that the tender for that same stand comes out for €16.6m, seven million more than what was in the masterplan. How did it improve for that increase?”

Celta believes the cost of redeveloping the stadium could now exceed €50m, once work is finally completed. “Taking into account that there are already extra costs with one stand, that we have spent €14.5m and there is still another stand and parking, we believe that it will exceed that figure,” added Mouriño, according to the Palco23 website.

“This outrageous figure would only be justifiable if we had one of the best stadiums in Spain, but this is not the case, and far from it, what has been done is a botch.”

Mouriño also claims Celta’s season ticket campaign has been impacted, with the club having to relocate more than 6,000 fans amid the uncertainty over when work will be completed. He said: “In addition, the botch that was made with the stands, instead of being unified as promised, forces us to leave an area of ​​600 tickets unsold because it is impossible for a spectator to sit in those seats.

“Added to which, we have 6,140 subscribers to relocate, which is why we have not yet been able to carry out a subscription campaign this year, with the economic damage that entails.”

Image: Celta Vigo