The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) has said it will meet with Série A clubs tomorrow (Thursday) after the country’s Ministry of Health granted it a “favourable opinion” to return fans to stadia from next month.

The measure foresees the use of up to 30% of stadia capacity, with an exact date still to be defined, dependent on evaluations conducted by the health authorities of the states and municipalities in which the 20 Série A clubs are based.

The Ministry said: “It is important to emphasise that the opening, at first, must be up to 30% of the stadium capacity, which can be increased later, as decided by local managers, who, among other aspects, will take into account the variation of the epidemiological curve, the occupancy rate of clinical beds and ICU beds and the responsiveness of the local and regional health care network.”

The CBF will now meet with clubs before moving on to consult with state and municipal authorities. In Brazil, one of the hardest-hit nations by COVID-19, the 2020 Série A season had been due to commence on May 3, only to be delayed.

The new campaign eventually started on August 8, albeit behind closed doors. More than 136,000 people have died from COVID-19 in Brazil, the world’s second highest death toll after the United States.

The GloboEsporte.com website contacted city halls in which Série A clubs are based in the wake of yesterday’s announcement, with only Rio de Janeiro definitively coming out in favour of returning fans to its stadia.

The City of Rio de Janeiro said it is favourable and regards the presence of fans in the match between Flamengo and Athletico-PR on October 4, at the Maracanã (pictured), as certain. According to Mayor Marcelo Crivella, one third of the stadium’s capacity will be authorised, amounting to around 20,000 fans.

Image: Flamengo