At least 26 people have been injured after a brawl broke out at a football stadium in Mexico during the Liga MX match between Queretaro and Atlas on Saturday.
The match was suspended after 62 minutes when fights broke out in the stands at the Estadio Corregidora. Liga MX subsequently announced that all remaining matches over the weekend would be suspended “in solidarity with those affected by the events”.
The fighting broke on to the pitch and Liga MX president Mikel Arriola has said that punishments will be handed out over the lack of security at the Estadio Corregidora.
Liga MX confirmed in a statement yesterday (Sunday) that 26 fans had been wounded, with 14 still in hospital. A meeting will be held tomorrow to review the behaviour of the fans, with a ban on away supporters set to be implemented.
Arriola, who visited wounded fans in hospital yesterday, also confirmed that the Estadio Corregidora has been given “suspended status” following the violence. Some reports had claimed that fans had lost their lives during the brawl, but Queretaro Governor Mauricio Kuri confirmed this was not the case, although three supporters were in a critical condition.
FIFA, football’s global governing body, condemned the incident and encouraged the local authorities to take the necessary action.
FIFA’s statement said: “FIFA is shocked at the tragic incident that took place at La Corregidora stadium in the city of Queretaro during the fixture between Queretaro and Atlas. The violence was unacceptable and intolerable.
“FIFA joins the Mexican Football Association (FMF) and CONCACAF in condemning this barbaric incident and encouraging the local authorities to bring swift justice to those responsible. Our thoughts are with all those who suffered its consequences.”
CONCACAF – the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football – also issued a statement condemning the events.
“We call on the local authorities to fully investigate these criminal acts, and to hold accountable those who have tarnished our game,” CONCACAF said. “The Confederation also believes that strong football sanctions must be applied and will provide any necessary support to the FMF and Liga MX as they investigate.”
Image: Gabriel Monarca