AC Monza has announced that work on renovations to its U-Power Stadium are being completed as the football club prepares for its debut season in Italy’s Serie A.

Following promotion from Serie B in 2021-22, Monza, which is owned by former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, has been working to bring its home up to the standards required for top division football.

A significant step in these efforts has been made with the club announcing that the stadium’s east stand, which has been closed for 20 years, will now reopen following redevelopment work.

Monza said: “In just 50 days, the stand has been completely refurbished and will be made accessible thanks to a team committed day and night that has already reached a total of 20,000 hours of work.

“There were days that saw at the same time, in addition to the daily use of over 80 employees, the use of six trucks and three mobile cranes also aimed at adapting the lighting system to the criteria of Serie A with over 1,650 lux.”

U-Power Stadium previously had a limited capacity of around 10,000, with the availability of the east stand set to boost this ahead of Monza’s landmark first Serie A home game against Torino on August 13.

Owned by the Municipality of Monza, U-Power Stadium first opened in 1988. Following promotion, club chief executive, Adriano Galliani, said in June that the immediate priority was to bring the facility up to a capacity of 16,000 seats.

Galliani added that if Monza manages to avoid relegation, the long-term goal is to work on a new stadium, citing Udinese’s Dacia Arena as a template to follow.

Image: AC Monza