Crystal Palace has made further moves to progress its Selhurst Park expansion project, with the English Premier League football club revising documentation for the scheme.
Palace has submitted 40 revised documents to Croydon Council, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service, including updates to fire safety, landscaping and local transport. Public consultation on the amended plans is open until August 25, with a report stating the changes should be “approved without delay”.
Included in the revised plans is a ‘healthy streets addendum’ which aims to tie in with London Mayor Sadiq Khan’s green transport goals. Palace is planning to grant £330,000 (€393,000/$400,000) towards establishing a controlled parking area and £100,000 towards new cycle routes.
Palace was said to be facing further delays for its Selhurst Park expansion scheme in November as it was revealed that it would be at least another year until work on the project commences.
The club was initially given permission to go ahead with the redevelopment of its stadium by Croydon Council in April 2018. Palace first revealed plans to increase Selhurst Park’s capacity from 26,000 to 34,000 back in December 2017, with the redevelopment of the stadium’s Main Stand central to the project.
It had been hoped that work on the project would begin at the end of the 2018-19 season, with a completion date having been set for last year. Planning permissions should have expired, but Palace has been granted permission to update its original filing by the Council.
Palace chairman Steve Parish last month offered assurances to fans that the club was still committed to the project. He said: “I’d like to thank Croydon Council for their continued support in enabling us to update the application since the resolution to grant planning permission was issued.
“We very much hope to make significant progress in the coming months, and will keep supporters and stakeholders updated as and when we have more news.”