Operations

Wembley Stadium to crack down on tailgating to improve security after Euro 2020 final

Featured image credit: Daniel/CC BY 2.0/Edited for size

Featured image credit: Daniel/CC BY 2.0/Edited for size

A trio of key priorities have been identified to improve security at Wembley Stadium following the events surrounding the UEFA Euro 2020 final.

In the wake of the publication of Baroness Casey’s independent review back in December 2021 into the significant levels of public disorder before and during the event, Football Association (FA) chief executive, Mark Bullingham, apologised for the “terrible experience” many suffered within Wembley.

The independent review stated the “appalling scenes of disorder” which marred the Euro 2020 final came “perilously close to putting lives at risk” and a new stocktake report from Baroness Casey, providing an update on progress made following initial recommendations, has now been released today (Friday).

The latest report states that Wembley Stadium must continue to work with the government to improve and formalise the delivery of major events, including the introduction of legislation to stop fans tailgating.

Baroness Casey also instructed the FA, owner and operator of Wembley, to create a formalised strategy to ensure the retention of information and insights into the final, which took place on July 11, 2021 following the tournament’s postponement due to COVID-19. This will include documentation of the subsequent action, plans, and improvements made to the stadium.

Finally, she looked ahead to the London ground’s hosting of the 2024 UEFA Champions League final on June 1. Baroness Casey is seeking to ensure that “best practice governance” is implemented, and to support this she will chair a “Champions League final assurance group”.

“We thank Baroness Casey for her time and diligence in undertaking this new stocktake report,” said Bullingham.

“The report highlights the continued improvement and delivery of successful events at Wembley Stadium since the unacceptable events around the UEFA Euro 2020 Final, as well as the significant financial investment we have made to enhance our security measures throughout the venue.

“I would also like to thank all of our delivery partners for their collaborative support throughout this process.

“We will continue to work hard together on implementing the recommendations from Baroness Casey to ensure that visiting Wembley Stadium is a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.”

The initial review was commissioned in December 2021 by the FA to help the organisation fully understand the events which took place on the day of the final. The FA announced in July 2021 that an independent review led by Baroness Casey had been commissioned following the crowd disorder in the lead-up to the game in London.

The FA had earlier said that it would carry out a full review and investigation after a number of ticketless fans illegally forced their way into the stadium for the match.

Baroness Casey’s independent review into events surrounding the Euro 2020 final concluded that around 2,000 people gained access to the game illegally. It noted that there 17 mass breaches of disabled access gates and emergency fire doors. Only 400 of those who gained entry were able to be ejected by security staff.

Wembley in July received planning permission to install a series of security upgrades designed to ensure the shocking scenes witnessed at the Euro 2020 final are not repeated. In December 2022, Wembley submitted plans that included the addition of a new gated fence installed outside the ground as part of around £4.3m (€4.9m/$5.4m) worth of upgrades to bolster security.