The individual is responsible for directing, managing, planning, and organizing all operational personnel and activities for Protective Stadium and adjacent BJCC properties as necessary. Directs the work of all internal and external personnel to design and execute day-to-day processes, events, and capital projects in the most efficient and safe manner possible for the benefit of teammates, vendors, clients, and end users of Protective Stadium.
Technical Expertise and Knowledge
• Ability to develop, communicate and monitor policies, procedure, and standards for Protective Stadium.
• Demonstrates understanding of managing and operating in a large public complex, such as a Stadium and performs responsible management duties that provide a superior experience for clients and guests.
• Knowledge of proper operation and storage of various Protective Stadium assets including but not limited to artificial turf, paint application and removal equipment, football equipment, soccer equipment, concert staging, and other needs as determined by tenants.
• Expertise in coordinating logistical and planning various types of setups, staging, safety procedures associated with the work and operating equipment associated with the work. Reviews event documents for planning, executive and assignments of supervisor and workforce.
• Oversees innovative systems for event setups, conversions, and teardowns to maximize labor efficiency. Manages time of self and teammates, appropriately.
• Understanding of staffing requirements for large public events, manages labor costs, makes labor cost projections, prepares work schedules, and assures adequate coverage for department.
• Employee relations management to include screening, interviewing and selection of teammates. Manages progressive discipline, rewards, recognition, and makes recommendations for promotions and terminations, in accordance with policy. Conducts performance reviews and on-going evaluations. Maintains employee records (attendance, safety, rewards, disciplinary, etc.) in a safe and confidential manner.
• Proficient in safety standards, and personal protective equipment associated with the work; complies with safety standards, conducts on-going safety training, documents, and monitor progress.
• Experience in inventory control and supply management and maintaining a storage and inventory management system.
• Ability to assist with researching, writing, and maintaining bids for staffing, supplies and contracts in accordance with federal and state regulations. Expected to be able to perform this function independently as needed. Ensures contract remains in compliance with bid specifications.
• Demonstrates ability to assist in the development and management of a departmental budget. Fiscally responsible in purchasing supplies and equipment; reconciles billing and invoices and processes payables efficiently.
• Keen understanding time management to make quick turns, determine the time taken to setup a building and teardowns and keeps teammates focused and on track. Uses self-discipline to meet all work deadlines, manage workloads and manages time efficiently to work long hours, days, nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
• Expected to assist with interviewing vendor representatives and evaluating current products and equipment as well as interviews teammates for hire, promotion, etc.
• Manage and direct a diverse group of teammates and business partners to maximize the Protective Stadium operations and services of the BJCC complex. Works cooperatively with all internal departments to plan, coordinate, and execute a high level of setup and guest service.
• Performs related duties as required.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position; hours of work must be flexible and varied to meet the demands of the events of the facility. Must be able to work extended and/or irregular hours including day, nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
Required Education and Experience
• Eight (8) years related experience in venue operations with five (5) at the supervisory level, preferably in a large public venue, arena, stadium, performing arts/theater, hotel, or health care facility.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with emphasis in Business, Management, Public Administration, or a related field preferred, or a combination of experience and some college. Industry certification(s) preferred.
• Forklift operation certification, preferred.
• Valid State of Alabama Driver License.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
• Knowledge of Local, State and Federal Laws and Guidelines relating to safety in the workplace.
• Ability to understand oral and written instructions in English. Bilingual (fluent in Spanish) is a plus.