The RFU’s Commercial Partnerships Programme currently generates in excess of £35M per annum for England Rugby and is a major component of our investment back into the game to fulfil our core purpose of continuing to grow the sport in this country.
The Business Development Manager will support the Head of Business Development in securing new commercial partnerships for England Rugby to help maximise the organisation’s commercial revenue and promotion of the game in the lead up to the 2019 Rugby World Cup and beyond. The majority of these partnerships will be sponsorship but could be other revenue generating initiatives and joint ventures that are aligned with the 2017-2021 Strategic Plan.
- Sales – Developing leads, securing meetings and building relationships with prospective partners at senior levels through outbound approaches, existing corporate relationships and generally building an industry network and profile.
- Building a Business Case – Development of the RFU’s partnership narrative incorporating core belief/purpose, unique selling point and commercial assets and properties to help secure new commercial partners to the organisation.
- Asset Development – working with the other departments at the RFU (including Digital, Rugby Development, Professional and Stadium) to create and evolve valuable partnership assets.
- Presentation Materials – Development of a full suite of bespoke and tailored partnership sales materials, proposals and presentations to suit the needs of individual companies.
- Insight & Data – Undertaking desk based research into potential partnership prospects and other revenue generating business models in conjunction with the Business Development Analyst.
- Research Analysis – Liaison with the RFU’s current commercial partnerships research agency as well as the commissioning of new research reports to provide robust data and analysis to support the business case for an RFU partnership.
- CRM Management – Management and evolution of a leads and opportunities customer relationship management system.
- Maintaining accurate records of all sales and business development contacts and activities.
- Contractual Process – Support the Head of Business Development in closing partnership deals including negotiation of commercial terms and working alongside the RFU’s legal team to conclude contractual agreements.
- Business Acumen – Supporting the Chief Commercial Officer and Head of Business Development across a broad range of commercial projects and initiatives.
- Act as an ambassador for, and promote the best interests of the RFU at all times, including the promotion of the RFU Core Values.
- Undertake such other duties as maybe required from time to time as are consistent with the responsibilities of the post and the needs of the RFU.
Qualifications & Skills
- Significant experience of undertaking the full sales process from the initial outreach right through to closing out high value commercial deals.
- Proven track record of building valuable commercial relationships and the ability to influence and sell new concepts at a senior level.
- An ability to construct best-in-class sales materials and presentations.
- Understanding and utilisation of a CRM system to help deliver against specific business objectives.
- Credible experience of effectively commissioning, utilising and analysing research and insight data to develop lead generation.
- Good knowledge and understanding of sponsorship and sports marketing industry.
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent, preferably in a relevant academic discipline.
- Proven sales experience.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- First class relationship builder.
- Organised and process driven.
- Financially literate.
- High commercial acumen.
- Passion, energy and drive with a results oriented approach.