The Football Association [The FA] is the not-for-profit governing body of football in England. It is responsible for promoting and developing every level of the game, from grassroots through to the professional game, and successfully generates enough revenue to support the investment of well over £100m into English football each year. The FA oversees 28 England international teams, across men’s, women’s, youth and disability football, as well as running FA Competitions, including the Emirates FA Cup and SSE Women’s FA Cup, and the world-class facilities of Wembley Stadium and St. George’s Park, all with a purpose to Unite the Game and Inspire the Nation.
The FA is seeking to hire a new Chief Executive to replace the incumbent, Martin Glenn, who will be leaving the role at the end of the 2018/19 season. Reporting to the Chairman, the Chief Executive is responsible for leading The FA’s Senior Management Team and c. 900 permanent staff.
This is an opportunity to shape the next stage of the FA’s evolution, building on significantly improved commercial performance and financial resilience and the encouraging on-field performances by many of the England international teams. Key responsibilities include:
- Supporting the Chairman and The FA Board to develop and execute the strategic plan through a combination of creativity and commercial enterprise, ultimately ensuring that maximum resources are re-invested into the game
- Leading the senior team and evolving The FA to ensure it is a modern, diverse and inclusive organisation. Continue to improve culture, standards and execution in a way that builds on the work already done to forge better stakeholder relations and service to the game
- Developing the environment and mechanisms to maximise the chances of England being ready to win World Cups in 2022 and 2023
- Overseeing a trusted and efficient governance system through an association that ultimately protects the integrity of the game. This includes complex functions in their own right from running competitions; to match officials; regulation; anti-doping; safeguarding and on and off field disciplinary matters
- Continuing to develop strong working relationships in the best interests of the game with the Premier League and English Football League
- Ensuring that Wembley Stadium and St Georges Park are the venues of choice for football, sporting and music customers that deliver commercially successful, vibrant and high profile events including hosting the final stages of UEFA Euro 2020 and beyond.
- Improving the participation experience in grass roots football by harnessing the network of County FA’s (50 technically independent entities of the FA) to deliver consistently better standards, ensuring resources are focused further down the football pyramid in an optimum way
- Liaising on international matters with UEFA and FIFA, specifically this includes becoming a Director of the International Football Association Board who are the independent guardian of the international laws of the game
- An individual who believes in the power of football as a force for good. Understands the passion of a football fan and has a genuine interest in the game
- A proven CEO, who has led substantial and complex organisations, preferably a PLC or an equivalent standard of governance
- An outstanding leader who has a track record of building high performing leadership teams and evolving a healthy and inclusive culture
- A track record of transforming businesses, ideally with an international dimension, leaving them financially robust and with strong commercial and operational disciplines
- Can influence and motivate a complex network of stakeholders to deliver results, with a track record of achievement through collaboration and partnership. Stakeholders include; Government, Sport England, DCMS, FIFA, UEFA, The Premier League, The English Football league, The Home Nations, Commercial Partners, Broadcasters, clubs across the country and County FAs
- An engaging and impactful communicator who has proven experience of managing external communications adeptly
- Impeccable standards of personal integrity, mental resilience and emotional intelligence