Commercial Director – Rangers FC
The Rangers Football Club is based in Glasgow, Scotland and was formed in 1872. As one of the world’s most successful clubs, Rangers FC have won 54 league titles, 33 Scottish cups, 27 league cups and the European Cup Winners cup in 1972.
The Club’s loyal and sizeable supporter base, both in Scotland and around the world, enables the Club to boast one of the highest percentages of season ticket holders in the UK with over 45,500 being sold for the current season. Playing at the 50,987-seater Ibrox stadium and benefitting from the top quality 37-acre Hummel Training Centre, the Club has been a dominant force in Scottish football for decades.
Currently, the Club is competing in the Scottish Premiership and the Europa League.
The history, facilities and ambition of the Club are such that the Club is a desirable destination for foreign and domestic players alike.
The first team squad is managed by Steven Gerrard, the former Liverpool and England captain.
Having stabilised the club financially, installed new good governance throughout the organisation, an improving product on the pitch under one of the most charismatic and recognisable young managers in Europe, and the landmark 150th anniversary of the foundation of the club on the horizon, Rangers is primed to enjoy exponential revenue growth with the right leadership in this vital position.
To find out more about Rangers Football Club, please click here.
The Club is seeking a commercially astute Commercial Director with the experience and vision to maximise commercial revenue through partnerships, ticket sales, events, hospitality, soccer schools and other business activities.
The role is not just about strategy and vision – the successful candidate will have a hands on approach and a proven track record of tangible and quantifiable output delivering year on year growth.
To become a member of our Senior Management Team you will have extensive experience of implementing sales and marketing strategies which achieve ambitious sales growth.
You must also have significant experience of leading, motivating and developing high quality sales and marketing teams.
Reporting to: Managing Director.
Strategy & Leadership
- Develop overall sales and marketing strategy for the Club across all revenue streams.
- Review CRM system, with a view to maximising use.
- Keep up to date with industry developments, maintaining awareness of competitor activity and market trends.
- Implement a robust sales process, sales reporting structure and ensure widespread pipeline development.
- Define key geographic regions and identify strategic partners that can help build the brand and revenues in these markets.
- Play a key role in shaping the Club’s 150th anniversary celebrations in 2022.
- Oversee digital and social media strategy driving reach and engagement.
- Oversee the Hospitality strategy and function, supporting the Managers within that area.
- Oversee and bring your expertise to the retail area of the business and be influential in developing the strategy.
- Analyse current commercial deals and report recommendations to Board.
- Ensure, in conjunction with Group Legal Counsel, the execution, management and fulfilment of sponsor agreements.
- Foresee periods of challenging trading and devise contingency plans for each sales channel designed to keep the Club ahead, competitive and innovative.
- Lead a pricing review to help increase profit across all relevant business areas.
- Develop and maximise sponsorship sales strategy by commercialisation of Club assets.
- Maximise ticket revenue through active management of ticketing strategy.
- Develop ticket pricing and promotional campaigns.
- Provide detailed sales revenue reports, forecasting and budgeting in line with business requirements and at the agreed frequencies.
- Develop overall corporate marketing and brand promotion activities.
- Increase Club visibility and global marketability through sponsor activation programmes.
- Devise mutually beneficial marketing partnerships in order to develop the fan base and engage with existing fans.
- Consistently develop and implement successful, high impact creative marketing strategies.
- Drive brand development and increase brand awareness to acquire, engage and retain customers, drive revenue growth and deliver long term value.
Experience and Skills, Knowledge Areas, Our Offer
Experience and Skills
- A minimum of five years proven sales/business development experience at director or senior manager level from a relevant background – ideally sports but other relevant areas considered
- Degree educated (or relevant equivalent experience)
- Passionate about understanding sports fans and consumers
- Proven track record of hands on, results driven approach
- Proven experience of generating and winning new business.
- Experience of maximising retail and licensing activities.
- Collaborative approach to achieving the Club’s goals and objectives.
- Manage and support the whole Sales and Marketing team to maximise their potential and develop their skills.
- Demonstrable track record of developing results driven sales teams, strategic marketing plans and market leading customer experiences.
- Delivering exceptional quality presentations and sales documents.
- Developing innovative commercial solutions.
- Driven by targets and comfortable in a high-pressure sales environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be detail conscious and methodical in your approach.
- Strong sense of consumer focus.
- Promoting a sense of team spirit within the office.
- Must be flexible to work outside core office hours and to travel if required. Must be well-connected and have strong knowledge of the football sector.