The general manager is responsible for the efficient, professional and profitable operation of the assigned Spectra venue. In addition to managing the day-to-day business operations, the general manager solicits new sources of revenue, both on and off the venue property. Responsible for overall management, promotion, and operation of the facility, including construction, purchasing, policy administration, booking, marketing, finance, food and beverage, box office, advertising, security, production, maintenance, and related operations for an arena/complex. This position is responsible for the development, coordination and management of all aspects and strategies for the arena’s entertainment events.
This position is located at Fusion Arena. Fusion Arena will be a 3,500-capacity sports and entertainment venue that will play host to esports tournaments, concerts, family shows and community events; anticipated opening date is January 2021. Fusion Arena is located adjacent to Xfinity Live! in the South Philadelphia Sports Complex. The Complex also includes the Wells Fargo Center, Lincoln Financial Field, Citizens Bank Park and Xfinity Live. The successful general manager candidate will have oversight of Fusion Arena and will also oversee all venue pre-opening needs including hiring staff, booking, negotiating venue contracts, ordering necessary equipment and establishing operating policies and procedures.
- Arrange for and otherwise book events at the venue, develop and maintain relationships with reputable promoters, local market contacts, agents and talent affiliates to attract esports events, concerts, shows, entertainment events, community events, etc.
- Administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: HR, sales and marketing, quality assurance, energy efficiency, safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management practices, or other areas as needed.
- Generate for client/corporate in a timely manner financial and other reports detailing the arena activities.
- Prepare a proposed annual operating budget and submit such proposed budget to client/corporate.
- Oversee day-to-day operation, ensuring technical and staff resource needs for all events, oversees plans for allocating those resources, and successfully manages their efficient implementation.
- Ensure all agreements made regarding the arena facility are in compliance with the contract, state and federal law.
- Provide final approval for all contracts and agreement.
- Attend conferences and trade association meetings.
Supervisory Job Functions:
Oversee and manage all aspects of the facility staff, including but not limited to operations, marketing, finance/payroll, security, janitorial services, box office. Demonstrate leadership in words and actions, including training, assigning work, performance appraisal and corrective action, addressing issues head on.
- Bachelor’s degree or better from an accredited college or university in business/hospitality management or related field.
- Minimum of seven (7) years management experience in an arena, convention centre, hotel or other similar public assembly facility
- The ability to research, develop and maintain relationships with artist agents, artist management as well as local, regional and national promoters.
- Proven leadership skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of event solicitation and presentation, public relations, advertising and media relations and event planning, facility operations, budget preparation and personnel management
- Ability to apply conflict resolution and problem-solving skills in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to express ideas clearly through both oral and written communication
- Superior sales and marketing skills
- Knowledge of budget preparation and control
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations
- Effectively work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, volunteers, management staff and guests in a clear, professional and courteous manner which fosters a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
- Ability to make sound business/operations decisions quickly and under pressure.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English.
- Solid working knowledge of computer applications: Microsoft office, POS systems, timekeeping systems.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented, fast-paced, event-driven environment.
- Ability to calculate basic and complex math functions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages).
- Ability to handle cash accurately and responsibly.
- Ability to consistently adhere to the highest standards of integrity, professionalism, ethics and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently with little direction.
- Knowledge of esports is a plus but not required.