In 2021, England will host the largest team sporting event in the world that year – the Rugby League World Cup, which will be the biggest and best ever in its history that dates back to 1954 when the tournament began.
32 competing nations in the men’s, women’s and wheelchair competitions will play in 61 matches across 21 venues, including St James’ Park, Elland Road, Anfield, Emirates Stadium, M&S Bank Arena and Old Trafford. The most inclusive sport played in the biggest venues across the country.
We are on a mission to create inspirational moments that excite, engage and leave a long-lasting legacy.
Led by our values of being Bold & Brave, World Class, Authentic and Inclusive, we are looking for the best talent to join our team.
You’ll be responsible for overseeing the management and delivery of all our events so you will need a proven track record of leading the planning and delivery of large-scale programmes and/or complex projects. You will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will work in a highly collaborative way with the ability to build positive relationships with multiple partners and you will be key in contributing to our vision of staging the biggest and best-ever World Cup. You will have an eye for detail (we don’t mind if you’re a bit of a perfectionist) and a good understanding of the interdependencies involved in major event planning.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- To be responsible for the management and delivery of all the men’s, women’s and wheelchair games in the tournament.
- To lead our freelance Event Leads (5).
- Overseeing all facets of event planning, delivery and evaluation, including pre-event production, site visits and requirement scoping (e.g. furniture, technology), logistics, on-site management, post-event breakdown, and post-event evaluation;
- Implementing well-articulated and understood operating procedures for event management, and clearly defined roles, responsibilities, and escalation points for each of the tournament’s matches;
- To be responsible for finalising all functional area operational plans;
- Ensuring that all operational planning takes into consideration the needs of our customers;
- Development of event schedules including daily run sheets, build and design schedules, transition schedule and the master delivery schedule;
- Ensure good liaison with all of our functional areas (including customer, commercial, broadcast and digital) to ensure key services are operational across all venues;
- Work closely with each of the stadia’s Event Safety Officer, Police, local Safety Advisory Groups and licensing teams to ensure all temporary stadiums are safe and adhere to local safety regulations;
- Working within agreed budgets, scope and procure (through defined procurement processes) the key, high-value temporary infrastructure and core facilities;
- Provide site details to the branding team to create the required look and feel of the stadia;
- Oversee the delivery an audit for all tournament stadiums;
- Scope, recruit and manage the required volunteers in conjunction with the Volunteer Lead and assist with workforce training;
- Develop any required daily & overnight operations and servicing plans including vehicle access plans and scheduling;
- Liaison with the accreditation lead and event accreditation system provider for information fields required to be captured for accreditation production;
- When applicable to produce reports for the RLWC2021 Ltd Board, Project Board, event partners and the IRL;
- Support the Head of Programmes and Tournament Director in developing a master project plan for the tournament;
- Assume other duties as required by the Chief Operating Officer;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technical competency areas and take a proactive approach to self-development and performance improvement;
- With the Chief Operating Officer, plan and agree on an achieve and develop a plan;
- To actively contribute to RLWC2021’s values of being Bold and Brave, World Class, Authentic
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Programme and project management skills, proven track record of delivering in complex, multi-stakeholder projects with tight timescales.
- Experience in working in an international, multi-cultural setting.
- A team player with a passion for sports and an ability to motivate and lead others.
- A self-motivated and dynamic personality with entrepreneurial and strategic thinking.
- Attention to detail, reliable and discrete.
- Excellent communication skills, with individuals from all nationalities and cultural backgrounds with different language abilities.
- Service and solution-oriented as well as an ability to handle conflict in a calm and professional manner.
- Creative and innovative thinking, a strong sense of ownership as well as team leader skills.
- Understanding of risk and contingency planning for major events.
- Demonstrable budget management experience.
- Understanding of international sport.
- Experience of successfully working in a politically and commercially sensitive environment.
- Analytical skills, the experience of developing reporting packs for Board level.
- Ability to develop relevant contacts, to facilitate collaboration and capture emerging best practice.
- Be able to meet tight deadlines and challenging targets/KPIs.
- Have strong leadership skills and be experienced in motivating and developing delivery partners.
- Display a high degree of computer proficiency.