The Managing Director is key in driving and nurturing the continued growth and success of Edinburgh Rugby. This person will lead the off-field team, and is ultimately accountable for the stewardship of the club brand, and for developing key relationships with internal and external stakeholders that will drive the success and future growth of the club.
Key Skills and Accountabilities
- Support the Chief Operating Officer on further developing and growing professional rugby in Scotland
- Line manage the off-field team comprising Commercial, Marketing, Communications, Operations and Community Rugby
- Work with agents to recruit professional players, undertake negotiations in respect of contracts, whilst ensuring player costs are within annual budgets
- Work collaboratively with Scottish Rugby’s Commercial, Communications, Marketing and Rugby Development departments to deliver business strategies
- Work with external stakeholders such as Pro14 and EPCR
- Ensure that sponsors and partners receive an engaging experience that drives revenue and fan engagement
- Establish networks across Edinburgh and beyond that will build on the sponsor family.
- Identify and develop new revenue streams to enhance the commercial growth of Edinburgh Rugby
- Oversee the Marketing and Communications strategy that engages the Club’s partners, sponsors and fans to drive increased revenue and brand awareness
- Drive commercial revenues, including sponsorship, ticketing and hospitality to achieve the commercial targets and objectives.
Strategic and Business Acumen
- In agreement with the Executive Board, agree goals for the club that drive performance and culture
- In collaboration with Scottish Rugby Chief Operating Officer, set the annual club budget for playing resources, rugby operations commercial operations and staffing
- Manage the on field and off field budget to ensure the club remains in budget
- Lead and manage the development of the new home of Edinburgh Rugby. Liaise with the contractors and City of Edinburgh Council to ensure the new stadium is built to budget and within agreed time-frames.
- Work collaboratively with the Head Coach and the High-Performance team, including Medical and S&C to support the delivery and achievement of rugby objectives
- Manage the player acquisition strategy to meet the Club’s performance aspirations and Scottish Rugby’s long-term player succession plan
- Manage and negotiate the player contracting process to ensure that the players costs are within budget.
Supporter and City Engagement
- Ensure community engagements are in keeping with and add value to the Club and the local community, positively driving the brand and profile of the club
- Deliver a strategy to increase match attendance and enhance the fan experience.