As a critical member of the Venues and Operations team, you will oversee and drive the implementation of strategic initiatives for all aspects of MLSE’s venue operations. You will provide leadership and guidance in the area of building operations to include all asset maintenance, repairs and replacements to deliver exceptional fan and team experiences at all MLSE facilities. You will promote and embody MLSE venues as premier entertainment destinations through the functional oversight and leadership of MLSE’s Engineering and Maintenance, Conversions, Ice Operations, Grounds, and technical Live production teams. Reporting directly to the Chief Venues and Operations Officer, you will act as a thought partner around operational efficiencies, innovation and excellence to create the ultimate fan experience at all MLSE events.
- Determine and implement the strategic initiatives, goals, and objectives of the team aligned with MLSE’s Venue and Operations strategic plan. Establish performance expectations (KPIs) and standards to achieve or exceed performance metrics. Develop and establish policies and procedures, performance standards and operating guidelines.
- Lead and direct the Venue Operations team with a relentless focus on operational excellence, and represents the team working with MLSE leadership and stakeholders.
- Lead all aspects of the execution of long-term preventative maintenance and asset protection plans for each location, while ensuring compliance with all municipal and provincial regulations. Provide advice to internal and external stakeholders with regard to venue maintenance related issues.
- Lead and direct ice, court and grounds operations for all MLSE locations.
- Oversee the technical aspects of hosting and presenting incoming live entertainment events at MLSE venues.
- Develop and oversee budgets, including departmental capital expenditure and effectively handle controllable expenses.
- Ensures that work is performed in a manner that ensures the safety of MLSE employees, teams and fans
- Coach, mentor and inspire staff. Champion continuous improvement and a culture of service excellence, including devising new strategies and new opportunities.
- Share and collaborate with other MLSE leaders on best practices that maximize operational efficiencies and enhance the fan experience
- Clearly define and commit to financial and operational results; interpret and communicate expected outcomes, and hold self and others accountable to achieve results through performance coaching and clear feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience related to the specific functional area is required with 10-15 years’ experience in a similar senior leadership capacity
- Sports / Hospitality / Entertainment industry experience is required
- Experience in venue operations in a large event-based venue is required
- Experience in arena conversions, venue operation, engineering and maintenance, and live entertainment production required
- Experience in labor relations, vendor contract negotiations and management, and exemplary fan/guest service preferred
- Strong conceptual and strategic skills and ability to work with and thoroughly understand functional areas involved in managing a multi-million dollar sports and entertainment facility
- Multi-faceted strategic leader with exceptional business acumen and the ability to lead multiple teams
- Transformative, influential leader with a proven ability to motivate others, coach and handle rapid change
- Confidence in presenting plans and projections to all levels of internal and external partners
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) is one of the world’s premier sports and entertainment companies and owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), Toronto Argonauts (CFL), Toronto Marlies (AHL), Raptors 905 (NBA D-League), TFC II (USL) and Raptors Uprising Gaming Club (NBA 2K League). The charitable arm, MLSE Foundation, focuses on funding initiatives to support youth through sport and recreational programs. In 2017 MLSE Foundation, with support of community and corporate partners, built MLSE LaunchPad, a 42,000-sq. ft. space dedicated to programming that support its four Pillars: Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, Ready For School and Ready For Work.
MLSE also owns and operates Scotiabank Arena, Canada’s premier sports & entertainment venue hosting more than 200 events each year, as well as two digital channels (Leafs Nation Network and NBA TV Canada), and has a partnership with Live Nation (the biggest concert promoter in the world). MLSE has also invested in and operates five of Toronto’s sports facilities – Coca-Cola Coliseum, BMO Field, BMO Training Grounds at Downsview Park, home of Toronto FC’s Academy and the First Team’s practice facility, the Toronto Raptors’ training facility and the MasterCard Centre for Hockey Excellence, the practice facility for the Maple Leafs and Marlies.
MLSE’s common purpose is to unite and empower employees to deliver extraordinary moments to our fans and each other.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you have difficulty using our online application system and/or you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email accommodations@MLSE.com.