More than 100,000 spectators should be able to attend this year’s Indianapolis 500 race in August after officials confirmed details of the rescheduled iconic US motorsport event.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) said the venue would be limited to 50 per cent capacity for this year’s Indy 500, which was originally due to be held in May but cancelled due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The huge venue has attracted attendances of more than 250,000 in previous years, meaning a huge crowd could assemble on August 23 even with the restrictions on capacity.
The IMS team said it is working with public health officials to complete a comprehensive plan of health measures, while a behind closed doors event will be held this coming weekend.
“We’re committed to running the Indy 500 on Sunday, August 23 and will welcome fans to the world’s greatest racing venue,” said IMS president J. Douglas Boles.
“We will be limiting attendance to approximately 50 per cent of venue capacity, and we are also finalising a number of additional carefully considered health and safety measures. We’ll unveil the specific details of our comprehensive plan in the coming weeks.”
IMS said it is communicating with existing ticketholders to learn of their intent to use their race tickets. Credits will be available for ticketholders who choose to adjust their order
IMS added: “Individuals in high-risk groups are encouraged to consider staying home and returning in 2021. In close consultation with public health officials, the IMS team is also working diligently to finalise a comprehensive plan of health measures that will be unveiled for spectators in the near future.”
The Super League rugby league competition is to resume on August 2 with three games taking place at a single so-far-unnamed location.
Officials decided that the revised 2020 season will comprise of a further 15 rounds of action at a small number of venues followed by a post-season play-off and final in late November.
Super League said it is in the final stages of confirming where the games will be played, and is working with broadcaster Sky Sports to deliver a final schedule.
Super League said in a statement: “At the moment, and until government directives change, Betfred Super League fixtures will take place behind closed doors at a small number of neutral venues that meet the stringent guidance from both Government and the game’s clinical advisory group.”
Crowds will be allowed to return to sports events in South Korea from this week.
The government announced that fans will able to return on a limited basis. South Korea’s sports ministry is expected to hold a meeting this week to discuss the details, Yonhap news agency reported, and the Korea Baseball Organisation is preparing to fill around 30 per cent of stands at its games.
It has been claimed that baseball and football fans will likely be banned from cheering in order to prevent infections through droplets or contact.
Baseball, football and golf have been in action since May during the COVID-19 outbreak, but fans haven’t been able to attend any of the games or tournaments so far.
Image: Carey Akin