Events

Tottenham given permission to stage more concerts

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Featured image credit: Matt Brown / CC BY 2.0 / Edited for size

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Featured image credit: Matt Brown / CC BY 2.0 / Edited for size

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has been given the green light to increase the number of music concerts it stages this year.

The London venue will be allowed to add more concerts to its schedule for 2023 after a planning application to stage more than its permitted six music events was submitted by the club in April. The application has now been approved by Haringey Council, meaning there is now no limit on the number of concerts that can be held in 2023 within the mandated maximum 16 major non-football events.

A stipulation within the permission granted by Haringey Council is that there cannot be more than three consecutive days of concerts and only one week in the year where there are more than three concerts in a single week.

“Welcoming global superstars attracts thousands of music fans and brings benefits to our local communities, but there are also impacts on our residents that need to be considered too,” said Cllr Sarah Williams, Cabinet Member for Housing Services, Private Renters and Planning. “We have been clear the planning process must be followed and that we will advise and work with the football club to resolve any issues.”

The 62,000-capacity venue hosted five Beyonce concerts in seven days in May and June and will stage a single Red Hot Chili Peppers gig on July 21. The seventh gig in 2023 will be Wizkid’s on July 29. Tottenham also staged a Gallagher Premiership rugby fixture between Saracens and Harlequins in March and will host two NFL games in October.

Tottenham’s planning application for 2023 was opposed by groups representing local neighbourhoods who expressed their concerns about further disruption such as road closures, traffic congestion and crowded pedestrian areas. There were also questions raised about tickets for all seven gigs being available in February despite Tottenham only submitting its planning application two months later.  

Cllr Williams added: “This decision is only for this year. We will continue to carefully monitor all major events and there will be further opportunities for residents to engage regarding events at the stadium with the council – this is an ongoing process.”

Tottenham announced earlier this year that it had seen a double-digit rise in revenue during the previous financial year as it reaped the benefits of its stadium’s growing events list.

The club said revenue was up 23% year-on-year to £444m during the 12 months to June 30, 2022, which marked the first full season in the 60,000-capacity new stadium at capacity. Match receipts were up significantly to £106.1m from just £1.9m during the previous year, when just two home games took place because of restrictions imposed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.