Tottenham Hotspur will need to play a second match at Stadium MK if it is drawn at home in the next round of the Carabao Cup, according to The Times.
The finishing touches are currently being made to Tottenham’s new stadium, although it remains to be seen when the 60,000-seat venue will open. In the meantime, the club is playing home matches at Wembley Stadium but with the national stadium unavailable on Wednesday, Tottenham was forced to play its third-round Carabao Cup match against Watford at Stadium MK in Milton Keynes, some 50 miles outside of London.
The draw for the fourth round of the Carabao Cup takes place tomorrow (Saturday) and The Times has reported that, should Tottenham be drawn at home, the 30,000-seat Stadium MK will again be the destination for the match.
The match would be held on November 1, with Tottenham already due to face Manchester City in the Premier League at Wembley on Monday, October 29. The City match has already been moved because Wembley is hosting an NFL match on Sunday, October 28.
The FA has reportedly told Tottenham that Wembley will not be available on November 1 due to a congested fixture period and the playing surface requiring time to recover. The Times said that the board of the English Football League (EFL), which organises the Carabao Cup, is expected to grant Tottenham’s request to play at Stadium MK should it need to.
Tottenham’s new stadium had been due to open earlier this month but recent reports have suggested it may not be ready until January.