This season’s Carabao Cup final at Wembley will take place in April, two months later than initially planned, in the hope that more fans will be able to attend the match.
The final had been due to take place on February 28 but the English Football League (EFL) announced yesterday (Monday) that it will now be held on April 25.
The EFL said its objective is to stage the final with “as many supporters in attendance as possible”. The exact number of fans that will be permitted at the final is currently unclear, with guidelines subject to change between now and April.
“The number of fans permitted will be dependent on government guidance in place at the time and it is hoped that moving the date to later in the year will give clubs and their fans the best opportunity to attend in person,” the EFL said in a statement.
The Carabao Cup continues this week with the quarter-finals taking place today and tomorrow.
No fans are currently allowed at football matches in London after the capital was placed in the strictest lockdown tier. Only four Premier League clubs – Liverpool, Everton, Southampton and Brighton & Hove Albion – are currently able to welcome fans to their grounds as they are based in Tier 2 areas, where up to 2,000 spectators are permitted.
Clubs in London had been able to welcome 2,000 fans earlier this month but the capital moved into Tier 3 of England’s COVID-19 lockdown system last week. London has since been placed into a new Tier 4, which was introduced in large parts of southeast England amid a surge in COVID-19 cases.